Friday, June 29, 2012

Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies

Awhile back I made a Coconut Custard Pie and we had some coconut flakes left over. Since it's not an every day ingredient, I've been struggling to find ways to get rid of it! So I got this idea on a whim.

THE RECIPE
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Stick Unsalted Butter
1/2 Teaspoon Coconut Extract
1 Whole Egg
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 Cup Flaked Coconut

Mix softened butter (not melted) and sugar in mixing bowl until combined. Beat in egg and coconut extract.
In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, and baking powder. Slowly pour dry ingredients into the butter/salt mixture. Combine just until flour disappears - do not over mix!
Pour in chocolate chips and flaked coconut.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Roll dough into balls and bake on greased baking sheet 15-20 minutes, until bottoms are light brown.

THE RESULT
The cookies came out of the oven delicious!! They were cooked perfectly, light brown on the bottom and chewy in the middle.

I took the cookies off of the baking sheet right away so they didn't over cook and they held their shape well. However, after the cookies cooled, they hardened immediately! I was really disappointed in that, as I love a soft, cakier cookie. I think the issue here is that there is a bit too much flour in the recipe. If you're going to try at home, I'd suggest cutting the flour to 3/4 cup to see how it works. I haven't tried it yet, but I will keep you updated!

Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment